There are many facts about paintball that will make the sport even more interesting. This form of competitive sport started out as a challenge for a group of friends but when it was shared with the world, everyone saw the potential. It really seemed like a lot of fun to shoot people without killing them – as violent as that may sound.
You should read about the fun facts because it also explains certain things about what we know of paintball today. Some of these facts may sound ridiculous at some point but some of them are events that you might be pleased to know have happened in the past. Let us go through these facts so you can get to know paintball a little bit better.
Interesting facts about paintball
Here are some of the most interesting facts about paintball.
- The very first winner of paintball did not even fire a single shot.
- Back in 2006, paintball was considered as the third most popular extreme sport. During that time, there were more than 10 million players of paintball.
- The last fact is not surprising since paintball is played in more than 100 countries – distributed across 6 continents.
- A paintball travels up to speeds of 200 miles per hour over a distance of 50 yards. This is why you need to have your complete mask and gear on if you are playing.
- Paintball ammunition is not exactly made of paint but of gelatin. You can actually eat it because it is non-toxic and biodegradable. Of course, it will not taste great but you will not die if you ingest it.
- The leading manufacturer of paintball guns if Tippmann Sports in the US.
- Usually, games have 15 players. But unofficial games can accommodate up to 40 to 50 players.
- The biggest paintball game was played by more than 4,000 paintballers during the Oklahoma D-Day Wyandotte and Skirmish Invasion of Normandy.
- Australian Anthony Kelly is a Guinness Book of World Records holder. He was able to catch 11 unbroken paintballs in two minutes – while he was blindfolded. He is the only one who has a paintball world record.
- Although it seems like a violent sport, paintball has the lowest injury rate – with 0.2 injuries per 1000 players.
- The longest paintball game lasted from November 15, 2015, to November 6, 2015.
Historical facts about paintball
Apart from the fun facts, there are also important historical facts about paintball that makes the sport really interesting and endearing at the same time. Here are some of them.
- In 1970, paintball guns were invented by Daisy and Crosman. This was before the very first paintball game was played in 1981. The guns were originally referred to as paintball markers because foresters used them to mark animals and trees. These guns were known for their long-distance range and accuracy.
- The game of paintball was actually invented by Hayes Noel and Charles Gaines. The rules were developed by Bob Gurnsey. Along with 9 other friends, they played the first paintball game in June 1981. This was in New Hampshire.
- In 1982, Bob Gurnsey created the first paintball field meant for commercial purposes. This was also in New Hampshire. It is not a million dollar industry and one of the most popular extreme sports.
- In 1989, Tippmann created the first automatic paintball gun – the SMG-60.
What do you think of these facts about paintball? Does it make you appreciate the sport even more?